A Brief History
A Brief History of Canton BeachWomen’s Bowling Club
(formerly known as Toukley Women's Bowling Club)
In November 1955 Toukley District Bowling Club invited the ladies to form a Women’s Bowling Club.
On 9th November 1956, after lengthy preparation and much hard work, a meeting was held at "Holmesville", the home of the late Victoria and Vince Holmes specifically to form Toukley Women’s Bowling Club. Mrs. Pauline Ford, President and Mrs. Evelyn Peck, Secretary of the Brisbane Water Women’s Bowling Association (now Central Coast District) were invited to attend. The District President occupied the Chair and the motion to form Toukley Women’s Bowling Club was carried unanimously.
A vote of thanks was extended to Mrs. Pauline Ford and Mrs. Evelyn Peck for attending the inaugural meeting and for their help and advice in the formation of the Club.
We are thankful to the 19 members who started our Club on 9th November 1956 and to the members who, in the intervening years, have worked for the Club and the game of bowls. Although time has taken its toll, a few of the older original members who, although they are unable to play, still visit our club whenever possible for special functions such as Presidents Day etc. Some of our members now have daughters carrying on the traditions, and they entertain us with stories about the club that have been passed down to them.
With the hard times the club industry experienced, Toukley Bowling Club (or Tombstone as it was affectionately known) was taken over by Wyong Leagues Club in 2008 and is now known as Canton Beach Sports Club, where our bowlers still continue to enjoy the same level of friendliness and sportmanship.
Over the years numerous organisations have benefited from generous donations by the club and its patrons. In addition, the club has been to the forefront of top competition and has earned a reputation for its players and officials of which we are very proud.
Through the tireless efforts of members, the Club has grown to the one we know now and the game of bowls is enjoyed by all, whether it be in social bowls, Club Competition, District Championships, Pennants or inter-club visits.
On 9th November 2010 the Club name was officially changed to "Canton Beach Women's Bowling Club".
This change of name called for new club shirts and in 2011 the Grade 3 Pennant girls were happy to model the shirts in this photo.